Guacamole is a special kind of sauce and is a type that is unique on its own. It is more commonly served as a dip for tortilla – usually tacos – as an appetizer.
Guacamole is generally made with avocado and asparagus. Other fruits that are known to be great appetizers may also be an ingredient of guacamole. Examples are kiwi and berries for their sweet flavor and lemons for the tangy punch of the sauce. Guacamole may be mild spicy hot to extremely hot taste. It is usually served with salsas or sour cream that makes appetizers, such as taco pie, taco sandwich and nachos, even more delightful to the taste buds.
A basic guacamole recipe will need:
* 1 ripe avocado, seeded, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped yellow onion
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves
* 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
In a mixing bowl, simply combine the avocado with the onions, garlic, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Mash everything together using the back of a fork until the mixture is already smooth. Serve immediately or may be served later. The mixture needs to be refrigerated if the guacamole will be served at a later time. The mixture must be covered with plastic wrap pressed directly onto the surface of the dip. This may be refrigerated for up to four hours.
Another simple guacamole recipe is the Guacamole Salad. Needed for the recipe are:
* 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
* 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and 1/2-inch diced
* 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1/2 cup small diced red onion
* 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers, seeded (about 2 peppers)
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
* 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 2 limes)
* 1/4 cup good olive oil
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
* 2 ripe avocados, seeded, peeled, and 1/2-inch diced
Place the tomatoes, yellow pepper, black beans, red onion, jalapeno peppers, and lime zest in a large bowl. Meanwhile, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic, and cayenne pepper. Pour this mixture over the vegetables. Toss everything together well. Set this aside until ready to serve. Fold the diced avocados and check if seasoning is right for taste just before serving the salad. This salad is best served at room temperature.