I have always thought that Quesadilla is a dish that requires hard labor. So, afraid of exerting too much effort, we opt for Taco Bell for our Mexican cravings. But haven’t we learned that fast-food chains like those does not really offer authentic Mexican cuisine? For all of us commoners who are too busy with our work, we resort into the alluring temptation of relying too much on quick and fast take out. I have a good news for all of you: Mexican meals are easy!! All you need are pre-chopped fresh ingredients!
One example of a very simple yet tasty satisfying dish is the Simple Quesadilla. What I absolutely like about the dish is you are given the freedom to choose whatever ingredients you want in your quesadilla. You want more cheese? Then put more cheese! Are you cutting back on fat? Then don’t put a lot of cheese and load the quesadilla with vegetables! It is that quick and easy! Plus, setting up a quesadilla station in a party is a great idea for entertaining friends and family!
Some Popular Fillings are:
- Sliced mushrooms
- Green onions, chopped
- Black olives, sliced
- Fresh tomatoes, diced
- Cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- Avocado cut into strips
1. Heat a large cast iron pan to medium heat
2. Add oil and make sure you spread the oil around the pan
3. Take a large tortilla, place it in the pan and flip it over a few times, 10 seconds. Air pocket should begin to form in your tortilla
4. When air pockets begin to appear, sprinkle now your grated cheese over the tortilla.
5. Then, add whatever ingredients you fancy. Just make sure you don’t add too much ingredients, or make the filling too thick, as it will be hard to flip later on.
6. Reduce the heat and cover your pan to melt the cheese. Check and open the lid to see if the cheese has already melted.
7. Top on another quesadilla. Flip it over to brown the other side.
8. Check if the other side is brown. Then, place it in your chopping board and cut into wedges! Serve with Mexican salsa for more flavor! Enjoy!